*** PUBLIC NOTICE: Eight Order Extending Declaration of Judicial Emergency was issued as of November 9, 2020. ***
*** PUBLIC NOTICE: Probate Court will be closed from 11:30am to 1:30pm on Tuesday, November 24, 2020, for the Walton County Employee Thanksgiving Celebration.***
*** PUBLIC NOTICE: Probate Court will be closed from 12pm on Wednesday, November 25, 2020, through Friday, November 27, 2020, in observance of Thanksgiving. ***
*** PUBLIC NOTICE: The Court requires applicants to apply online and receive a confirmation number. (DO NOT PRINT THE ONLINE APPLICATION) We ask that you promptly call the Court to set up your appointment due to limited availability. We appreciate your patience as things are changing rapidly. ***
*** PUBLIC NOTICE: Effective August 1, 2020, due to an increase in GBI/Federal Records check, the cost for a new Firearms License will increase to $79.00.***
- 9:00 A.M to 4:00 P.M.
- Active Post Certified Law Enforcement: $40
- Renewals: $30 (Only eligible for renewal within 90 days before expiration OR within 30 days after expiration of current weapons permit).
- Retired Law Enforcement: $7
- Weapons Carry Permit: $76.00 (Effective January 1, 2019)
- $79.00 (Effective August 1, 2020)
Must have exact cash, money order, Visa or Mastercard, although a convenience fee will apply to card payments.
We do not accept personal checks.
You will save time when you come to apply by completing the Weapons Carry Permit Application. Once this is done and you have submitted the application, you will receive a confirmation number. You must print out or write down the confirmation and bring it with you when you come to apply.
- An applicant must be 21 years of age and a resident of Walton County OR may be 18 years of age and have completed basic training, currently on active duty, or have been honorably discharged. Proof of which is required.
- An applicant who is not a citizen of the United States must provide proof that you are an eligible immigrant or non-resident.
- The application process involves a criminal record and mental health record check, including fingerprinting. Noncitizens must also submit to an Immigrant Alien Inquiry.
- The court cannot advise you where weapons can be carried.
- Fee for lost, stolen, or replacement license is $6. A lost or stolen license must be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency before it can be replaced.
- further information is found at O.C.G.A §§16-11-129(b) and 16-11-129(D)(4) and O.C.G.A. §16-11-131
- If you are a person prohibited under federal law from receiving a firearms license, a license may not be issued to you.
- If you have any questions about your legal rights or whether the list and descriptions of Prohibitors apply to you, it is suggested that you consult with an attorney. The Probate Court staff cannot advise you on your legal rights, nor may they determine for you whether a prohibition applies to you or your circumstances.
- Information on federal prohibitors can be found in the Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.SC. 921 et seq., including Amendments Under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993.
- It is your responsibility to seek the removal of a prohibition from your record or to provide the Court with a final disposition of a matter in your criminal history. It is your responsibility to obtain and submit necessary proof and verification to the Court.
- Licenses cannot be issued until the necessary reports are received by the court.
- The list of disqualifying offenses are found in state and federal law
- No refunds after submitting application.
- Permits are valid for five years.
- The probate court staff cannot advise you as to whether or not you are qualified for a weapons carry permit.
Georgia Weapons Carry License Application Instructions
Applicants, including renewals, must provide the following:
- Applicants born outside of the United States must bring a certified birth certificate or a passport showing the country of birth.
- Exact Cash, Money Order, Visa or Mastercard payable to the Probate Court of Walton County.
- Naturalized U.S. citizens must provide naturalization certificate and original INS number.
- No refunds are given after application is submitted.
- A valid Georgia Driver’s License or State-Issued ID reflecting your current address. If a P.O. Box is listed on your driver’s license, you must submit two documents showing your name and physical street address. ( For example a utility bill, lease or voter registration card)
- An application shall be considered to be for a renewal license if the applicant has a Georgia weapons carry license or renewal license with 90 or fewer days remaining before the expiration of such Georgia weapons carry license or renewal license or 30 or fewer days since the expiration of such Georgia weapons carry license or renewal license regardless of the county (in Georgia) of issuance of the applicant’s expired or expiring weapons carry license or renewal license. To reiterate: applications made by a license holder whose current or previous license was issued by another county in Georgia will be considered a renewal application.
Visit Georgia Probate website for more information on firearms licenses.